Here is a simple, absolutely delicious and healthy way to make your own almond milk. It’s creamy, it’s smooth, it’s healthy—it’s almond milk at it’s finest.
The first few times we made almond milk, it wasn’t necessarily a walk in the park. It was chunky (not pleasant) and completely separated (ick). But we were determined and this time—complete success! I give all the credit to a bag similar to this nut milk bag that came with our kit.
1. Soak 1 cup of almonds overnight in a quart-sized mason jar
2. In the morning, rinse and drain the almonds in your mason jar, and add enough water to fill your jar to the top. Now transfer that mixture to a blender.
3. You can now add taste-enhancers (I made that word up). 1 whole vanilla bean, vanilla extract, dates, cinnamon, sea salt, etc all work well. I actually didn’t add anything and I love it that way—plain, simple and delicious, but it depends on what you like!
4. Now blend on high for 1 minute.
5. Place your nut milk bag over a large bowl and slowly pour your milk concoction.
6. Some milk will go right through the bag. After that happens, then gently squeeze the bag to get the rest of the milk out.
7. Pour the milk into the mason jar and voila—deliciousness!
8. Keep it chilled in your fridge and sip away.
There are a ton of things you can do with the left over pulp (make crackers, add to a smoothie, add it to muffin batter, almond meal, etc. In another post, I’ll share some great recipes for the pulp!